23 February 2012

By James Pritchard

Darren Fox scores for Bedford against Moseley
First of all I would like to say a big hello to all the Scrum Five readers out there and hope that you enjoy reading my weekly blog from now on in. In the coming weeks I will be sharing my views of the upcoming Championship Playoffs as well as the 6 Nations and Super Rugby season which is kicking off this weekend.

Firstly lets have a look at how things are going in the English Championship. With one game to play this weekend things are starting to get tasty with teams starting to time their run into the playoffs and gather momentum. With a good win away to Moseley on the weekend and a maximum of 5 points gained, my Bedford side has now moved on up to second in the table by points difference, but with the pirates beating favourites Bristol at the weekend that much sort after second spot will come down to who can bring home the goods this weekend.

Both teams are at home and both are looking to continue on their winning streak. The playoffs and the top 8 in general are looking pretty interesting. Any team in that 8, on their day can turn one another over, just look at Esher beating Leeds at the weekend, and this years playoffs in particular is there for the taking. I’m just hoping the Blues get plenty of warm sunny days to show what we are capable of. But Bristol deservedly go in as favourites and I know everyone will want to knock them off.

Now with the 6 Nations on again this weekend, the big one with England and Wales is a must watch. I think the winner from this game will likely be the only real contender to trouble my favourites France for the title this year. And I do see the Welsh playing a little too much rugby for England's liking and coming away winners in this game.

Now lets get on to Super Rugby which starts this weekend Down Under and one game in particular that I will be watching is the Waratahs v Reds game at ANZ Stadium. Always a feisty encounter and never any love lost between the two teams this should be a cracker. NSW need a big game this weekend if they hope to secure that all elusive Super Rugby title and what better way to kick off the season then a win against the arch old enemy and defending champions.

Well that’s enough from me this week. I hope you’ve enjoyed your read and look forward to doing it all again next week. So goodbye from me and don’t forget “Come On You Blues”

James Pritchard is a professional rugby player and is the captain of the Bedford Blues who play in the RFU Championship.

Most Viewed This Week

Archives

- Copyright © Scrum Five -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -