22 April 2012

By Graeme McNicol

Sorry for the delay with this latest blog… to say I’ve been busy is an understatement. So what have Lanark Rugby been up to?

Well we’ve taken a couple of steps closer to our chance of back-to-back titles, we beat Bishopton Rugby 69 – 12 on our home turf on the 17th March and then on the 31st March we beat Strathclyde Police 36 – 12 away from home.

Also well done to Bishopton’s Andy Jackson for getting the RBS Club Volunteer of the Month for March.

I think the police were disappointed as they turned up for a fight and a game of rugby broke out! We scored some fantastic tries – check out our YouTube channel to see them.

So that’s us on the park, off the park I’ve been just as busy!

I was at the Glasgow v Aironi game on the 23rd March. A brilliant performance from Glasgow, and almost a bonus point to boot. They’ve been playing some brilliant rugby in the Rabo Pro Direct 12. It was a shame they lost to Munster last Saturday, however Stuart Hogg’s hat trick was awesome!

I was at Murrayfield for the Edinburgh v Tolouse Heineken quarterfinal. What a day out that was; Doddie Weir and Kevin Mckenzie were our hosts for the day and to say they looked after us was an understatement. If I didn’t have my picture taken with Ross Ford I’d have never remembered it! Can you see the delight in Ross Ford’s face getting his picture taken with the Lanark Rugby Club’s Captain! Stay away from a drink called a Rusty Nail!

The atmosphere in Murrayfield was electric - even better than the day Scotland played England! The whole place was buzzing and the city of Edinburgh was jumping! Edinburgh are fast becoming the kings of the come-back. The way they kept themselves in the game was fantastic. I’m looking forward to the semi final now and I would have gone but I’m off to Cardiff for my stag weekend!

Lanark didn’t have a game last weekend, however I was back at Murrayfield, but not for a game of rugby. Along with two other Lanark boys – tight head Marcus Fraser and club supporter Andrew Fleming, I was doing a sponsored abseil off the West Stand, in aid of the Cystic Fibrosis Trust. They are one of the Glasgow Warriors charity partners.

I was properly bricking it up on the roof of the stadium. The views of Edinburgh were amazing, however, not being tied on to anything was a tad nerve racking. I thought that once I was secured on the safety rope I would have been fine. I can tell you that the definition of fine is having my two feet firmly back on the ground!

It was all worth it though as we have raised over £500 for a fantastic cause and we are still accepting sponsorship click here to make a donation. Any donations would be greatly appreciated for such a fantastic cause!

So, we have our big chance this weekend against Mid Argyll in a fixture away from home. If we win, we’ll become champions again! This will be a back-to-back title win for Lanark Rugby. Last year we won West Division 3 and as a result of a restructure at the SRU we now are in West 4.

It’s a massive game and if the result goes our way then the 3-hour coach ride home will be all the more fun!

Check out our Facebook and Twitter for the score and our website for the full match report and video highlights.

Most Viewed This Week

Archives

- Copyright © Scrum Five -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -